Our Patch Kit
Thank you for purchasing our Bandana Patch Kit. You can find helpful videos and FAQs below.
APPLYING THE PATCH:
After applying the patch, you should machine or hand-stitch it for a permanent hold. A simple straight stitch around the edges will suffice.
If you should like something a little more decorative, check out the videos below. Here are a few tutorials on optional 'fancy' stitching. If you opt for these, you may need more thread than what's provided per color in the kit or you can just use multiple colors of thread from the kit.
PREPARING TO HAND STITCH:
SIMPLE WHIP STITCH:
coming very soon...
Q: What types of fabrics can these be used on?
A: Basically any fabric that can take the heat of the iron and is relatively smooth. Smooth knits like t-shirts are okay, but a chunky sweater-knit might not work as well. Super stretchy fabrics like lycra leggings are not good candidates. Denim pants, canvas bags, flannel shirts, woven tops, polyester and rayon dresses are all good candidates.
Q: Can I cut the patches to smaller sizes or different shapes?
A: Absolutely! I suggest using pinking scissors (with the zig-zag edge) if you have them. If not, use an overcast stitch on the machine or one of the above fancy stitches to reduce fraying at the edge of patch.
Q: Is the iron-on adhesive permanent?
A: No. It will do in a pinch, and last a little while. I strongly suggest stitching the patch on before washing or wearing so it lasts.
- WASH AND DRY THE GARMENT WITHOUT USING FABRIC SOFTENER. CUT AWAY ANY LOOSE THREADS AROUND THE AREA TO BE PATCHED.
- HEAT THE IRON TO A MEDIUM-HIGH SETTING WITHOUT STEAM.
- CHOOSE A PATCH THAT WILL COMPLETELY COVER THE DAMAGED AREA PLUS 1/4 to 1/2 INCH MORE ON ALL SIDES. MULTIPLE PATCHES CAN BE LAYERED FOR LARGER REPAIRS.
- IF THE OPEN HOLE IS LARGER THAN 1/4 INCH YOU'LL NEED TO USE SOME MUSLIN ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE REPAIR SO THE ADHESIVE PATCH HAS ENOUGH FABRIC TO ADHERE. CUT A PIECE OF MUSLIN A BIT LARGER THAN YOUR PATCH AND PLACE IT ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE REPAIR.
- PEEL OFF PAPER BACKING AND POSITION YOUR PATCH. PRESS WITH A HOT DRY IRON FOR 6 SECONDS.
- MACHINE OR HAND STITCH AROUND THE EDGES TO CREATE A PERMANENT PATCH. IF USING BACKING MUSLIN, USE PINS TO KEEP IT IN PLACE SO THAT IT ALSO GETS STITCHED DOWN.